The Daily Word: Monday, Nov. 13
What you need to know in college basketball for Monday, Nov. 13:
1. Providence vs. Minnesota in the Gavitt Games could be a Sweet 16 matchup in March. Playing this game on the first Monday of the season won't dictate the path for either squad. But let's be honest here, a road win by Richard Pitino (a Providence alumnus) would be huuuuuge. This would show the Big Ten and the country that the Golden Gophers aren't messing around. The Friars need to hold serve here at home with a quick turnaround to New York later in the week for what could be a showdown with Virginia Tech Friday night. The Friars could pick up three significant wins in the week (Washington too) or suddenly be soul searching if they're nipped by the Gophers.
2. Georgia Southern needs to show it's no fluke by beating Bakersfield. The shocking road win over Wake Forest will have shelf life if Georgia Southern takes care of a pesky Bakersfield. This is not likely an at-large team but building momentum off a season-opening shocker is a must.
MORE: Full Monday schedule
3. Tulsa has to bounce back after the home loss to Lamar. That won't be easy against city rival Oral Roberts. The Golden Hurricane didn't shoot well in the loss and got limited production out of key personnel. This is a gut check game less than a week into the season.
4. How Iowa State responds after getting handled by Mizzou will be critical at home against Milwaukee. This Cyclones team is rebuilding after losing a glut of seniors. But confidence is needed and should come against the Panthers.
5. The night begins and ends with critical games for the elite teams from the smallest state in the union. Rhode Island is at Nevada and the Rams will be tested by the Mountain West contender. A true road win for Rhody in Reno would go a long way toward posting this team's ego and confidence going forward into what should be a stellar season.